The purpose of the Peer Mentor Program is to aid in the academic, emotional, and socio-cultural adjustment of mentees to college life at North Carolina State University. The peer mentoring relationship is designed to foster a network of support for culturally diverse first year students (mentees). Mentors serve as peer support personnel for mentees and share program goals and responsibilities aimed at ensuring the retention of student participants.
Mentor Expectations and Requirements
- Must have completed at least 24 hours of coursework at NC State before starting mentor position.
- Available to serve as a mentor for fall and spring terms.
- Maintain at least a 2.50 cumulative GPA throughout the academic year.
- Complete the ECD 224: Introduction to Student Development and Peer Mentoring (2 credit hour) course.
- Attend Peer Mentor sponsored events.
- Serve as a positive representative of the Department of Multicultural Student Affairs.
- Maintain weekly contact, through a variety of methods, with mentees.
- Record contact with mentees on designated contact forms and submit them to the program advisor in a timely manner.
- Inform your mentees of other campus organizations, programs, activities, and events.
- Attend and participate in a mandatory Peer Mentor Retreat.
If you are interested in applying to be a 2013-2014 Peer Mentor please complete the application and recommendation form. All materials should be returned to Mary Medina at email@example.com or 1107 Pullen Hall.