The Associate Professors’ Community is an informal discussion group open to all faculty, with a special emphasis on issues of importance to associate professors. The learning community will meet approximately three times each semester to discuss topics related to setting direction, taking on new roles, teaching, research, and faculty life. It provides an informal setting to meet other faculty and discuss issues of common interest. The intent is to enhance faculty experience and provide an ongoing discussion group for associate professors. The meeting topics are suggested by participants and members of the Advisory Board. Each meeting will focus on a different aspect of faculty experience and help make connections with people in many different spheres of the university.
Video clips (from webinar on the Associate Professors’ Community created in June 2014 for the Association of Women in Science)
Please register on the Office of Faculty Development (OFD) Event Registration Form for upcoming APC meetings. Bring your lunch. Snacks and water will be provided.
Readings and Resources
Mid-Career Faculty Planning Process. Worksheet on articulating career goals, writing a mid-career plan and implementing the plan.
Overcoming Post-Tenure Paralysis. Kerry Ann Rockquemore, March 21, 2014. from the Chronicle of Higher Education. It’s not uncommon for midcareer faculty to feel stuck. But you’ve got so many options! The trick is just tacking to the path that’s right for you.
Fall 2015 Meetings
- Tuesday, September 22, 12:25-1:15, DH Hill Faculty Conference Room, 2nd Floor: Being an Associate Professor. New Priorities
Congratulations on getting tenure! Now what? The role of an Associate Professor has new priorities mixed with ambiguous expectations. Join this discussion to identify strategies for success and opportunities for professional growth.
- Jacqueline Hughes-Oliver, Statistics
- Richard Warr, Business Management
- Timothy Hinton, Philosophy and Religious Studies
- *Tuesday, October 13, 12:00-1:00, Talley 4280: Creating and Sustaining Effective Mentoring Relationships with Graduate Students
- *Wednesday, November 11, 12:25-1:15, 463 Monteith Research Center: Entrepreneurship, Commercialization of Research
- Tuesday, November 17: 12:25-1:15, 463 Monteith Research Center. Scholarly Reassignment
* Indicates that this is a joint meeting of all the faculty communities (Assistant, Associate, and Full Professors).
Monday, Sept 22, 2014, Finding New Research Directions – When? How?
- Rebecca Boston, William Neal Reynolds Distinguished Professor, Assistant Director NC Agricultural Research Service
- Carol Hall, Camille Dreyfus Distinguished University Professor, Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
- George Kennedy, William Neal Reynolds Distinguished Professor, Entomology
October 20, 2014, Developing an International Reputation
- Bailian Li, Vice Provost for International Affairs
- Ruie Pritchard, Professor, Department of Curriculum, Instruction, Adult and Higher Education
November 20, 2014. Taking on Leadership Roles – When? How?
- Morton Barlaz, Professor and Head, Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering
- Myron Floyd, Professor and Head, Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management
- Karen Leonas, Professor and Head, Textile and Apparel, Technology and Management
- Alison Motsinger, Associate Professor and Assistant Department Head, Statistics
Thursday, January 22, 2015. How Do You Know When It’s Time?
- Alina Chertock, Professor of Mathematics
- Joel Ducoste, Professor of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering
- Jason Swarts, Professor of English
Monday, March 30, 2015, Data on Time to Promotion from Associate to Full Professor at NC State
- Marcia Gumpertz, Assistant Vice Provost for Faculty Diversity and Professor of Statistics. Slides: Time to Promotion from Associate to Full Professor
Wednesday, Sept 18, 2013, What next? Strategic planning for your next career step
- Barry Goldfarb, Professor and Head, Forestry and Environmental Resources
- Monica Leach, Associate Professor, Social Work
- Trudy MacKay, Professor, Biological Sciences
- Laura Severin, Professor of English and Special Assistant to the Provost for Academic Planning
Resource: Mid-Career Faculty Planning Process from UNC Charlotte ADVANCE Program Workshop
Monday, October 14, 2013. How to manage all the opportunities that come your way?
- Anthony Blikslager, Professor, Department of Clinical Sciences
- Nancy Cassill, Professor and Director, Global Luxury Management
- Mary Schweitzer, Professor, Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
Wednesday, October 30, 2013. Job satisfaction among NC State associate professors: Findings from the national COACHE survey
- Nancy Whelchel, University Planning and Analysis
- Betsy Brown, Office of Faculty Affairs
Thursday, November 14, 2013. Fostering an international reputation
- Bailian Li, Vice Provost for International Affairs
- Orlando Rojas, Associate Professor, Department of Forest Biomaterials
- Ruie Pritchard, Director of Graduate Programs, Curriculum and Instruction
Tuesday, February 11, 2014. Professional Development Opportunities for Mid-Career Faculty”]
- Betsy Brown, Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs
- Susan Faircloth, Associate Professor, Leadership, Policy and Adult and Higher Education
Friday, February 21, 2014. Setting New Priorities
- Nancy Allbritton, Professor and Chair, Biomedical Engineering
- John Blondin, Professor and Head, Physics
- Edward Kick, Professor, Agricultural and Resource Economics
The Advisory Board
- Alper Bozkurt, Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Betsy Brown, Office of Faculty Development
- Sudipta Dasmohapatra, Institute for Advanced Analytics and Dept of Forest Biomaterials
- Michael Dickey, Chemical Engineering
- Julie Earp, Business Management
- Jing Feng, Psychology
- Joy Gayles, Leadership, Policy, Adult and Higher Education
- Christine Grant, College of Engineering
- Pierre Gremaud, Mathematics
- Steffen Heber, Bioinformatics
- Jay Levine, Population Health and Pathobiology
- Terri Long, Plant Biology
- Marce Lorenzen, Entomology
- Jim Martin, Chemistry
- Cecilia Mouat, Art+Design
- Melissa Pasquinelli, Textile Engineering, Chemistry and Science
- Pradip Pramanik, Proposal Development Unit
- Roderick Rejesus, Agriculture and Resource Economics
- Louie Rivers, Forestry and Environmental Resources
- Katharine Stewart, Office of Faculty Affairs
Contact Marcia Gumpertz (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested in serving on the Advisory Board.