The NC State University Building Future Faculty (BFF) Program is a two day all-expenses paid workshop for doctoral students and post-doctoral scholars who are interested in pursuing academic careers, who are committed to promoting diversity in higher education, and who are one to two years away from beginning a job search. During the workshop, which is held each spring at NC State University, the participants attend sessions describing life as a faculty member at a research extensive university, expectations of new faculty, and resources available to faculty for help with research and teaching. Participants attend presentations on research and teaching and faculty development, as well as having discussion sessions with current faculty at all levels from assistant to full professor.
Each participant is matched with an academic department whose interests closely match their own. The balance of time is spent visiting with this academic department. During these visits participants have the opportunity to meet with faculty to discuss the faculty research programs and learn about the departmental culture. They tour the research facilities and laboratories, meet with current students, and meet with the department head and the dean of the college in which the department resides. During these in-depth departmental discussions concerning their academic work and career interests participants receive one-on-one advice about preparing for an academic career and may obtain feedback on what parts of their preparation are strong and what parts might need strengthening. This is an invaluable opportunity for both the BFF participants and for the NC State departments to get to know each other.
The BFF program encourages graduate students and postdoctoral scholars from groups that are underrepresented in their disciplines to apply. The program aims to increase representation of diverse U.S. graduate students and postdoctoral scholars joining the professoriate.
The 2014 Building Future Faculty Program is sponsored by the NCSU Office of the Provost, the NCSU Office for Institutional Equity and Diversity, and the College of Education.
- Individuals with the ability to contribute in meaningful ways to the university’s continuing commitment to cultural and ethnic diversity
- In a doctoral or post-doctoral program corresponding to a discipline at NC State and one to two years away from beginning to search for an academic position
- Desire an academic teaching career at a research institution
- Desire to pursue independent research as a faculty member
- Demonstrate the potential to become a faculty member
- Availability during the programs dates
- Application Deadline: Sunday, November 10, 2013
- Program Dates: Wednesday, April 2 – Saturday, April 5, 2014
How to Apply Please go to the 2014 Building Future Faculty Application Form. The application form is an online form. If you don’t complete it in one sitting, you may be able to resume filling the form out if you use the same computer and your settings allow cookies. Otherwise you will not be able to resume filling out the form and will have to start over. You will need to attach several items, so please have these ready to upload with the application form:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- A 250 word statement outlining your teaching philosophy
2013 Building Future Faculty Gallery