Faculty Liaisons to the Office for Institutional Equity and Diversity
The Faculty Liaisons serve as an important resource in OIED’s efforts to foster an inclusive and welcoming campus climate, enhance the university’s ability to recruit and retain a diverse faculty and staff, and support ongoing university efforts to increase the cultural competence of NC State students. Faculty Liaisons serve a renewable one-year term and have been instrumental in several exciting initiatives.
2014-15 OIED Faculty Liaisons
- Robin Abrams, Head, School of Architecture
- Rajade Berry-James, Associate Professor of Public Administration.
- Maria Correa, Professor of Population Health and Pathobiology.
- Joel Ducoste, Professor of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering
- Susan Faircloth, Associate Professor of Leadership, Policy, Adult and Higher Education.
- Montserrat Fuentes, Professor of Statistics and Department Head.
- Wendy Krause, Associate Professor of Textile Engineering, Chemistry and Science
- Thomas Schaefer, Professor of Physics
- Mary Wyer, Associate Professor of Psychology and Women’s And Gender Studies
Current and recent Faculty Liaison initiatives
- Broaden NC State’s efforts to increase diversity in faculty hiring
- Study of effectiveness of family-friendly policies at NC State
- American Indian UNC System Faculty Forum — November 11, 2013
- First Hispanic/Latino Faculty UNC System Forum
- 12th Annual Social Equity Leadership Conference – June 5-7, 2013
- Facilitating discussion about unconscious bias in faculty searches with search committees
- Developing an external alumni and friends national diversity board
- Black Faculty Representation Working Group
The Indigenous Collaborative on Education, Research, and Service (ICERS) at NC State, directed by Associate Professor Susan Faircloth (a member of the Coharie Tribe), a Faculty Liaison with the Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity, sponsored its first official event on Thursday, November 13th. Dr. Faircloth and senior science education major, Jessica Anstead (a member of the Haliwa-Saponi Tribe) sponsored a workshop at the Haliwa-Saponi multipurpose center. Ms. Anstead led the tribal youth as they made hand drums as a way of teaching how animal cells are formed. Many thanks to Jessica for developing this activity! This Collaborative is made possible by the support of the College of Education; the Department of Leadership, Policy, and Adult and Higher Education; and the Provost’s Office.
Faculty Liaison Jade Berry-James with Garry Morgan, Assistant Director for Diversity Programs recruiting faculty, postdocs, grad students and Building Future Faculty program participants at the Compact for Faculty Diversity’s Institute on Teaching and Mentoring in Atlanta, Georgia in October 2014.
2013-14 OIED Faculty Liaisons
- Rajade Berry-James, Associate Professor of Public Administration. 2013-14 Annual Report
- Susan Faircloth, Associate Professor of Leadership, Policy, Adult and Higher Education. 2013-14 Annual Report
- Wendy Krause, Associate Professor of Textile Engineering, Chemistry and Science. 2013-14 Annual Report
- Monica Leach, Associate Professor of Social Work
Images from the American Indian UNC System Faculty Forum
Images from the 12th Annual Social Equity Leadership Conference – June 5-7, 2013
2012-13 OIED Faculty Liaisons
- Rajade Berry-James, Associate Professor of Public Administration and Director of Graduate Programs. 2012-13 Annual Report
- Maria Correa, Professor of Epidemiology and Public Health
- Wendy Krause, Associate Professor of Textile Engineering, Chemistry and Science 2012-13 Annual Report
- Monica Leach, Associate Professor and Interim Department Head, Social Work. 2012-13 Annual Report