Multicultural Faculty Group
About the Group
Our focus is on recruiting and retaining high quality multicultural faculty.
The idea for this group came for a small multicultural group of assistant professors at NC State in 2009 who were interested in having some social networking opportunities.
Join the Multicultural Faculty Google Group!
Just click on "Groups" in the header bar of the NCSU gmail browser. When you are on the Google Groups page, browse for "Multicultural Faculty Group." If you have difficulty finding it, please contact Marcia Gumpertz at email@example.com.
Multicultural Coffee Hours
We especially encourage assistant professors to come network with others; all are welcome.
Monday, April 1, 2013
1911 Bldg Room 128
We will provide coffee, tea, and bagels.
This is a great way to meet the OIED Faculty Liaisons: Jade Berry-James (Public Administration), Monica Leach (Social Work), Maria Correa (Population Health and Pathobiology), and Wendy Krause (Textile Engineering Chemistry and Science). Coffee hours are held every other month and alternate between morning and afternoon hours. Please drop in for any amount of time during the posted hours.
We are looking forward to seeing you there!
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
College of Design
College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Jocelyn D. Taliaferro (steering committee member)
- Jade Berry-James
- Craig C. Brookins
- Karen Bullock
- Ana Gray
- Clifford Griffin
- Chelsey Juarez (steering committee member)
- Monica Leach
- Sheila Smith McKoy
- Rupert Nacoste
- Juliana Makuchi Nfah-Abbenyi
- Melvin Thomas
- Elvira Vilches
- Yichao Wu
- Barbara Zelter
College of Education
- Joe Busby (steering committee member)
- Susan Faircloth
- DeLeon Gray
- Matt Militello (steering committee member)
- Pooneh Lari
- Susan Osborne
- Sejal Parikh
- Rex Smith
- Anona Smith Williams
- Paola Sztajn
College of Engineering
- Thomas Ward (steering committee member)
- Frank Hunte
- Sasha Ishmael
- Leda Lunardi
- Stephen Walsh
- Tao Xie
Poole College of Management
College of Natural Resources
College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences
College of Textiles
College of Veterinary Medicine
- Renee Moore-Duckenfield
To be added to the directory, please contact Marcia Gumpertz.
- Multicultural Coffee Hour - Monday, February 11, 2013
- Multicultural Faculty Reception with welcome remarks by Provost Warwick Arden, Vice Provost Joanne Woodard, Steering Team Member Matt Militello - Wednesday, January 16, 2013
- Multicultural Lunch - Tuesday, November 20, 2012, David's Dumplings and Noodles
- The 1st Hispanic/Latino UNC-System Faculty Forum - October 6, 2012
- Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream - Monday, June 18, 2012
- Multicultural Lunch - Wednesday, April 25, 2012
- Women's Basketball Game - Sunday, January 22, 2012
- Multicultural Lunch - Thursday, December 8, 2011
- Fall 2011 Multicultural Gathering with Special Guest Provost Warwick Arden - Tuesday, October 25, 2011
- Inaugural Meeting, Hispanic and Native American Special Interest Group - Thursday, November 4, 2010
- End of Semester Networking Event - Monday, April 26, 2010
- Networking and Meet Provost Warwick Arden - September 17, 2009
- Networking Meeting and Happy Hour - Friday, February 13, 2009
- Resources for Recruiting a Diverse Faculty (e.g., sample language for position descriptions, best practices for search committees, sample candidate evaluation forms, information on Target of Opportunity hires, spousal hiring and job search assistance for non-academic spouses, online resources, lists of scholars, and job listings)
- Mentoring at NC State
- Giving and Getting Career Advice: A Guide for Junior and Senior Faculty (developed at the University of Michigan; some parts are specific to UM, but most apply equally well to NC State)
- Tenure and Promotion: ADEPT (Awareness of Decisions in Evaluating Promotion and Tenure) Instrument (developed at Georgia Tech)