NC State Diversity GEP Course Development Fund Proposals
The Office for Institutional Equity and Diversity is pleased to be able to offer a fund to assist faculty and
staff who wish to develop a course for the NC State General Education Program (GEP) U.S. Diversity
Background: All undergraduates are required to complete one course studying aspects of U.S. Diversity
as part of their degree program. The rationale for the requirement is this:
The study of diversity in the United States provides student the opportunity to consider questions of difference and culture, identity and community, privilege and oppression, and power and responsibility in our nation, and to gain an understanding of how these issues affect both individuals and communities.
Program Information: The intent of the Diversity GEP Course Development Fund is to encourage
faculty and staff to develop courses that will satisfy the U.S. Diversity GEP requirement. This may be
done in two ways:
- Develop a new course for the GEP U.S. Diversity course list; or
- Modify or enhance an existing course that is not currently on the list of approved courses to add it to that list.
To be listed on the GEP list, the course must be approved by the appropriate committees. See Adding a Course to the General Education Program for instructions on the process. See also Preparing for your Course for resources for creating or modifying courses.
All faculty and staff are eligible to apply for Diversity GEP Course Development funds, up to an amount
of $3,000. The funds may be used only for purposes allowed to state-appropriated funds (e.g., no food costs are allowed). Faculty and staff awarded funds must provide two progress reports: one in September and one in January.
How to Apply: The application period is currently closed. Please check back for next year's program. Thank you.
- The proposed course title, course number and instructor
- Whether this is a new or existing course
- Endorsement of a department head
- A statement of course objectives
- A description of course content and activities
- A timeline for submission of the course proposal for approval for the GEP U.S. Diversity course
- Proposed budget for course development activities.