Faculty and Staff Diversity Initiatives
Workshops, Institutes, and Projects
- Building Future Faculty Program: A two-day all-expenses paid workshop for advanced graduate students and post-doctoral scholars who are interested in pursuing academic careers and who are committed to promoting diversity in higher education.
- PURPOSE Institute: Promoting Underrepresented Presence on Science and Engineering Faculties
- ADVANCE: Developing Diverse Departments at NC State: The mission of Developing Diverse Departments is to spark a shift in attitudes toward a diverse and inclusive climate and create paths of diffusion and discussion of these ideas throughout the NC State faculty.
For Prospective Faculty
We view faculty diversity as crucial to building a campus community that fosters demographic and intellectual diversity. When you come to campus for a visit, if you would like us to arrange an opportunity for you to interact with any particular group of students, faculty, and/or staff to gain an additional understanding of our campus climate, please contact Dr. Marcia Gumpertz, Assistant Vice Provost for Faculty Diversity. We will make every effort to facilitate those meetings.
Resources for Faculty
- Assistant Professors' Learning Community - This is a reading and discussion group led by current faculty with special emphasis on issues of importance to assistant professors. Please see the website for upcoming workshops.
- Multicultural Faculty Group
- Avoid Chill in the Classroom: Maintaining a Welcoming and Inclusive Learning Environment
Resources for Department Heads & Deans
- Resources for Recruiting a Diverse Faculty (sample language for position descriptions, best practices for search committees, sample candidate evaluation forms, information on Target of Opportunity hires, spousal hiring and job search assistance for non-academic spouses, online resources, lists of scholars and job listings)
- Climate Workshop for Academic Department Heads
- Mentoring at NC State
- Giving and Getting Career Advice: A Guide for Junior and Senior Faculty (developed at the University of Michigan)
- Tenure and Promotion: ADEPT (Awareness of Decisions in Evaluating Promotion and Tenure) Instrument (developed at Georgia Tech)
- BRIDGES: Academic Leadership for Women (an intensive professional development program for women in higher education who seek to gain or strengthen their academic leadership capabilities. It is designed to help women identify, understand, and move into leadership roles in the academy)
- Leadership for a Diverse Campus Workshop Series
Resources for Women and Families
- Dual Career Hiring Assistance for Prospective Faculty (Job search assistance and resume review for spouses and partners who are searching for non-faculty positions.
- For spouses who are searching for faculty positions: Under certain conditions matching funds up to 33% may be provided by the Provost for spousal hires if the accompanying spouse of a recruited faculty member will be in a tenure track faculty position.)
- NC State Policies and Programs for Families and Parents-to-Be (including parental leave policies, extension of the tenure clock, flexibility in time to tenure, child care, lactation rooms)
- Automatic Tenure Clock Extension for faculty with a new child in the family or who take extended family medical leave. The full detail is contained in the Tenure Clock Regulation.
- Council on the Status of Women/Women's Center/Association of Women Faculty Networking Hour Events - all staff and faculty are welcome!
- ADVANCE Developing Diverse Departments at NC State