Stand-up and be Counted!!!
Campus Veterans Recognition & Roll Call
Student Veterans are growing in number on college campuses and contribute to the diversity of our student body. Nationwide, more than one million veterans attend college and one million more veterans are expected to enroll over the next few years. Thousands of military veterans are eager to make use of federal education benefits. This includes current and former Service Members on active duty or in the reserves. Supporting our student Veterans in successfully completing their studies is more important than ever.
Characteristics of Student Veterans Nationally:
- 73% of student Veterans are male; 27% are female.
- With only 10-12% of military personnel being women, female student Veterans are over represented in postsecondary education.
- Only 15% of student Veterans are traditionally aged college students (18-23).
- 31.4% are between the ages of 24 and 29.
- 28.2% are between the ages of 30 and 39.
- 24.9% are 40 or older.
- 47% of student Veterans have children.
- 47.3% of student Veterans are married.
- 35.3% are unmarried and without dependents.
Source: United States Department of Veteran Affairs
Please help the university learn more about our military veterans at NC State in order to plan and prepare further outreach and initiatives to successfully serve our growing number of student veterans.
A military veteran is anyone who has served in one of the armed services, regardless of time or conditions served. By statute, a “veteran” is defined as a “person who served in the active military, naval, or air service, and who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable.” The term “veteran” implies military service and does not require one to have served in combat (Combat Veteran). All former members of the armed forces that are students, faculty and staff are invited and encouraged to “sign this roll call.”
Military Veteran Students, Faculty, and Staff are also encourage to select two or more days during Diversity Education Week (October 13-18) to wear something that signifies their military branch affiliation.
Army National Guard
Marine Corps Reserve
Air Force Reserve
Air National Guard
Coast Guard Reserve