Climate Workshop Series for Department Heads
Overall satisfaction and desire to stay at an institution are strongly related to satisfaction in the department. The Climate Workshop Series for department heads focuses on cultivating a supportive and inclusive department climate for diverse faculty.
The workshop series is based on a model developed by the University of Wisconsin WISELI (Women in Science and Engineering Leadership Institute) program. Following the WISELI model, the workshops are organized around a climate survey administered to faculty and staff in the departments of participating heads.
- Enhancing Department Climate: A Guide for Department Chairs
- Becoming a Department Chair: To Be or Not to Be
- Communication Skills for Department Chairs – Enhancing The Department Climate
- Retaining Diverse Department Faculty: A Guide for Department Heads
- Recommended Actions for Enhancing Department Climate
- Department Head’s Climate Resource Guide (2013)
- Conflict Management
- Creating Mentoring Relationships and Fostering Collegiality
- Sex and Science: Tips for Faculty
- Dual-Career Academic Couples: What Universities Need to Know
The Climate Workshop Series for department heads is an outgrowth of the ADVANCE project at NC State. More information can be found on NC State’s ADVANCE Developing Diverse Departments website.
Contact Katharine Stewart, vice provost for faculty affairs, for more information on current workshop offerings.