DIVERSITY EDUCATION WEEK
Monday, October 15 – Friday, October 19, 2018
Diversity Education Week (DEW) is a week-long series of programs that reinforces NC State’s institutional commitment to diversity, inclusion and equity by highlighting the importance of our diversity and the role it plays in our daily lives, creating opportunities for campus members to become more aware of the impact of diversity at NC State and exploring more equitable and socially just practices and policies that improve success outcomes.
- To introduce the campus to the various equity, diversity and inclusion units across campus;
- To increase awareness and understanding of the experiences and concerns of underrepresented and marginalized individuals at NC State;
- To create opportunities for greater intercultural engagement and respectful dialogue about challenging social issues;
- To encourage greater participation in diversity and inclusion efforts throughout the year.
2018 DEW THEMATIC FOCUS
The theme for our 9th Annual Diversity Education Week is “Who Are We?: Defining the Wolfpack.” We are seeking proposals for programs (presentations, workshops, discussions, films, arts events, poster presentations and other engagement opportunities) that explore who we are as a diverse institution framed within one of the following topical areas:
- Social Identity Development and Expression (i.e. race, ethnicity, gender, sex, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, class, ability, religion, age, language, nationality, appearance, family status, military status, etc.)
- How individuals develop a sense of who they are;
- How individuals express their identity in relation to others;
- Analysis of demographic differences and similarities within our NC State community.
- Social Positionality
- How social identity impacts personal perspectives and experiences;
- The unique experiences of individuals with specific social identities;
- Systemic conditions that cause, enable or perpetuate certain experiences for individuals with specific social identities.
- Policy and Practice
- Current efforts to improve experiences for those with historically underrepresented and marginalized identities;
- Best practices for improving experiences for those with historically underrepresented and marginalized identities;
- Exploring opportunities to improve experiences for those with underrepresented and marginalized identities.
Following various diversity engagement experiences during Diversity Education Week (DEW), participants will be able to:
- Define and identify their individual social identities;
- Articulate how their social identities influence their worldview;
- Articulate the correlation between diversity and social identity;
- Examine the role and impact of diversity on social identity at NC State.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
Download the Schedule of Events on Your Mobile Device or View Online
With the “Diversity Education Week 2018” smartphone Guide, you’ll find all the information about events throughout the week in an easy-to-use, free mobile app available for iOS or Android.
Download the Mobile Guide
- Download the ‘NC State University Guides’ app in the Apple App Store or Google Play store.
- After downloading, open the app and find ‘Diversity Education Week 2018.’
View the Schedule Online
No smartphone? No problem. See the web version of the guide.
To view the schedule of events online, click each date to view an event and its description.
Your DEW Guide will be updated automatically as new programs are added to the schedule!