GLBT Symposium Welcomes New Students
More from Diversity Digest
- TODAY: GLBT Faculty and Staff Network Meeting
- Next GLBT Faculty and Staff Network Social to Be Held on April 25
- $1.75M Grant Funds Underrepresented Engineering Ph.D. Students
- McNair Scholars Program Prepares to Welcome Third NC State Cohort
- In Their Own Words: Lavender Grads
- A Place to Start: Reflecting on Womxn’s Herstory Month
The GLBT Center hosted its fifth annual GLBT Symposium on Saturday, August 18, 2018, welcoming over 175 participants. This half-day event is held during move-in weekend as a way for incoming GLBT students to connect with one another, build community, learn about services and resources offered by the GLBT Center and find ways to get involved on campus.
Returning GLBT students welcomed new students to campus and participated in a panel discussion, sharing their experiences and ways that GLBT students can get connected at NC State. Mike Mullen, vice chancellor and dean of academic and student affairs, addressed the students to reinforce the university’s commitment to diversity. The GLBT Center staff also provided information about resources and upcoming events.
When asked to reflect on what they learned during the event, a student highlighted that “there are tons of activities and groups to join that help you feel like a part of the community.” Other students expressed, “The leaders are very open to talking with students,” and “I felt so welcome and at home, affirmed that I made the best choice by transferring to NC State.”
New students also learned about the myriad of opportunities to connect with other GLBT students on campus. This fall, new and returning GLBT students will be able to join six different GLBT student organizations.
- The GLBT Community Alliance (GLBTCA) is the primary social organization for GLBT students and their allies. GLBTCA meets every Tuesday at 7:00 p.m in various rooms within Talley Student Union; the first meeting of the semester was held on August 28.
- Queer and Transgender People of Color (QTPOC) is a closed group for GLBT students of color (African American, Native American, Asian American, Hispanic/Latino, Multiracial and others). QTPOC meets every other Tuesday at 5:00 p.m. in various rooms within Talley Student Union; the first meeting was held on August 28, 2018. Contact the GLBT Center to join.
- AcePack is a group for asexual and aromantic students and their allies. AcePack meets twice each month on Wednesdays at 5:00 p.m. in the GLBT Center Lounge; the first meeting was held on August 22, 2018.
- Bi/Pan @ NCSU is a group for students on the bisexual and pansexual spectra. Bi/Pan @ NCSU meets twice each month on Mondays at 7:00 p.m. in the GLBT Center Lounge; the first meeting was held on August 27, 2018.
- T-Files is a closed group for students on the trans spectrum (transgender, genderqueer, gender fluid, non-binary, gender questioning and others). T-Files meets every other Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. in the GLBT Center Lounge; the first meeting was held on August 29, 2018. Contact the GLBT Center to join.
- Out in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (oSTEM) is the NC State chapter of the national professional organization. oSTEM events will be hosted at various times throughout the academic year; for details please see the GLBT Center calendar.
Andy DeRoin is program coordinator in the GLBT Center.