The Masculinities Project is one way to acknowledge the culture of gender inequity and work towards catalyzing a culture of change on campus and beyond the realms of NC State University. The purpose of the Masculinities Project is to address issues of gender inequity by examining the links between historical patriarchal oppression and current systemic and institutional manifestations. Over 8 sessions, students will use both gender theory and personal narratives of real life experiences to develop their own lens.
- Examine the historical foundations and social construction of gender
- Learn how masculinity and power manifest at systemic and institutional levels
- Identify how masculinity and power perpetuates gender violence in relationships and individually
- Apply real life experiences to deconstruct social norms
- Build a community promoting positive social norms around gender and equity
Reflections from the 2019 Masculinities Cohort:
- “I found a way to be proud of my masculinity while still distancing myself from hegemonic and toxic norms.”
- “The Masculinities Cohort helped me disassociate myself from the ideals of masculinity imposed upon me, and helped give me the freedom to self-identify with gender how I feel most comfortable.”
- “I think everyone should participate in a cohort like this because it builds community and really helps foster empathy for fellow students that you otherwise might not have a reason to talk to. We all came from vastly different majors and departments, yet by the end it felt like we were all part of something special. It became a safe place to retreat to after a long day and there was always someone there to support you.”
- “It was an incredible experience and a highlight of my semester!”
The Masculinities Project Cohort Information Session
Please join us in the Women’s Center as we host an information session to talk about our upcoming pilot cohort The Masculinities Project. This information session will discuss the mission and desired outcomes for the cohort, topics of discussion throughout the Spring semester, and how to apply.
NOVEMBER 7 | 6:00-7:30 p.m. | Talley 5210
Who should apply for the Spring 2020 Cohort?
The Masculinities Cohort is designed for any student with a curiosity and willingness to learn more about gender identity, gender norms, and gender equity. We encourage students of all gender identities and gender expressions to apply to be a part of the 2020 cohort.
Applications will open November 1 at 8:00 am and will close on Tuesday, November 26 at 11:59 pm. Decisions will be sent out by December 6th.
For questions or to learn more, please contact Carlyn Wright- Eakes.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, NC State will honor requests for reasonable accommodations made by individuals with disabilities. Requests can be served more effectively if notice is provided at least 10 days before the event. For more information, please contact The Women's Center at 919.515.2012.