American Indian UNC System Faculty Forum
November 11, 2013
8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Friday Institute, Centennial Campus, NC State University
“Indigenizing the Academy?”
Dr. Bryan Brayboy
Dr. Brayboy is Borderlands Professor of Indigenous Education and Justice and Director of the Center for Indian Education, Arizona State University.
The primary goal of this event is to promote networking and collaboration among American Indian faculty and allies from across the UNC System.
- 8:00 – 8:45 Continental Breakfast and Conference Registration
- 8:45 – 9:00 Moment of Silence in Honor of our American Indian Veterans and Active Duty Service Members, followed by Welcome Remarks from Dr. Marcia Gumpertz, NCSU Assistant Vice Provost for Faculty Diversity and Dr. Susan Faircloth, OIED Faculty Liaison and Associate Professor, NCSU College of Education
- 9:00 – 9:30 Opening Remarks by Dr. Karrie Dixon, Senior Associate Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs, UNC General Administration and Dr. Jayne Fleener, Dean of the College of Education, NCSU
- 9:30 – 9:45 Guest Drum by John Richardson (Haliwa-Saponi)
- 9:45 – 10:15 Remarks from Dr. Alfred Bryant (Lumbee), Associate Dean of the School of Education and Director of Southeast American Indian Studies, UNC Pembroke
- 10:15 – 10:45 Remarks from Amy Locklear Hertel (Lumbee/Coharie), Director, UNC Chapel Hill American Indian Center, and Clinical Assistant Professor of Social Work
- 10:45 – 11:00 Morning Break
- 11:00 – 12:15 Keynote address, followed by questions and answers – Dr. Bryan McKinley Jones Brayboy (Lumbee), Borderlands Professor of Indigenous Education and Justice, and Director of the Center for Indian Education, Arizona State University
- 12:15- 1:15 Lunch, with entertainment by Unheard Voices (American Indian Student Vocal Group, UNC Chapel Hill)
- 1:15 – 2:15 Engaging American Indian Communities in Collaborative Research – Dr. Susan Faircloth (Coharie), Associate Professor of Education, NCSU
- 2:15 – 3:15 Talking Circles
- 3:15 -3:30 Afternoon Break
- 3:30-4:30 Reporting out of Discussion/Action Items from Talking Circles/ Formulating an Agenda for Facilitating Increased Networking, Collaboration and Support of American Indian Faculty, Staff and Students
- 4:30 – 5:00 Closing Activity
For additional information, please contact the Office for Institutional Equity and Diversity, NC State University 919-515-3148.