The focus of the Multicultural Faculty Group is on recruiting and retaining faculty from a multitude of backgrounds and cultures. The group organizes networking opportunities for faculty, including Multicultural Faculty gatherings and networking hours. The Multicultural Faculty Google Group provides information about upcoming events and opportunities.
Join the Multicultural Faculty Google Group!Click here to subscribe to the Google Group
Announcements about upcoming Multicultural Faculty Group events and other NC State events of particular interest to faculty, grant opportunities, conferences and calls for proposals relating to diversity in higher education and news about Multicultural Faculty Group members are posted on the Multicultural Faculty Google Group. The Google Group also provides a forum for online discussion and a directory of members.
Current Steering Team
- Mari Chinn, Biological and Agricultural Engineering
- Michelle Eley, Foreign Languages and Literatures
- Julie Simmons Ivy, Fitts Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Chelsey Juarez, Sociology and Anthropology
- Daniel Saloni, Forest Biomaterials
- Tamara Young, Educational Leadership, Policy, and Human Development
Past Steering Team Members
- Joe Busby, Science, Technology and Math Education
- Tiffany Davis, Leadership, Policy, Adult and Higher Education
- Mickey Fearn, College of Natural Resources
- Frank Hunte, Materials Science and Engineering
- Blair Kelley, History
- Hoon Joo Lee, Textile Apparel, Technology and Management
- Matt Militello, Leadership, Policy, Adult and Higher Education
- Marcela Rojas Pierce, Plant and Microbial Biology
- Jocelyn Taliaferro, Social Work
- Thomas Ward, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Tao Xie, Computer Science
American Indian Research Clearing House
Researchers are invited to post information about their research on diversity, American Indian affairs, and indigenous studies. In addition, we welcome information about research on any topic that includes broader impacts for the advancement of American Indians. The goal of this website is to provide a tool for networking and identifying potential collaborators for research and broader impacts initiatives and to provide a central clearing house for research by Native American faculty, staff and students and on topics of interest to Native American communities. Post or view information.
Our Past Events
- Meet for Lunch at H Street Kitchen. Tuesday, November 29, 2016
- Multicultural Faculty Ice Cream Break, The Creamery, DH Hill Library. Monday, August 22, 2016
- Meet for Lunch at 1887 Bistro. Friday, March 18, 2016. 11:30-1:00
- Lunar New Year Celebration. Saturday February 6th at 5pm. Host: Wenjie Liao
- Fifteenth African American Cultural Celebration NC Museum of History – Raleigh, NC 27601 January 30 10:30-4:30pm.
- “Rise. Resist. Repeat” with Dr. Ravi Perry. Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 7:00 – 8:30 p.m., at Room 3285,Talley Student Union.
- Holiday Cookie Potluck/Synthia Saint James exhibit – December 2, 2015. African American Cultural Center Gallery
- American Indian Heritage Celebration – November 21, 2015. NC Museum of History
- Multicultural Ice Cream Break- September 2, 2015. The Creamery in DH Hill Library
- Multicultural Faculty Friday Lunches – monthly Fall 2014, Spring 2015 Players’ Retreat
- Ice Cream Break – September 5, 2014. The Creamery in DH Hill Library
- Multicultural Faculty Friday Lunch – April 25, 2014. Players’ Retreat
- Multicultural Faculty Friday Lunch – March 28, 2014. The Oval, Centennial Campus
- Multicultural Coffee and Conversation – Monday, March 17, 2014. Theme: Faculty recruitment and retention at NCSU
- Multicultural Faculty Friday Lunch – February 28, 2014. David’s Dumplings and Noodles
- Multicultural Coffee and Conversation – Thursday, February 13, 2014. Theme: Recruiting and retaining diverse graduate students at NCSU.
- Impromtu End of Semester Lunch – Tuesday, December 10, 2013, David’s Dumplings and Noodles
- American Indian UNC System Faculty Forum – November 11, 2013
- Multicultural Coffee Hour – Monday, November 4, 2013, 3:00 – 5:00 p.m.
- Multicultural Coffee Hour – Thursday, October 3, 2013, 9:00 – 11:00 a.m.
- Multicultural Faculty Reception with welcome remarks by Provost Warwick Arden – Monday, September 30, 2013
- Ice Cream Break – Thursday, July 25, 2013, Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream
- Multicultural Coffee Hour – Monday, April 1, 2013
- Multicultural Coffee Hour – Monday, February 11, 2013
- Multicultural Faculty Reception with welcome remarks by Provost Warwick Arden, Vice Provost Joanne Woodard, Steering Team Member Matt Militello – Wednesday, January 16, 2013
- Multicultural Lunch – Tuesday, November 20, 2012, David’s Dumplings and Noodles
- The 1st Hispanic/Latino UNC-System Faculty Forum – October 6, 2012
- Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream – Monday, June 18, 2012
- Multicultural Lunch – Wednesday, April 25, 2012
- Women’s Basketball Game – Sunday, January 22, 2012
- Multicultural Lunch – Thursday, December 8, 2011
- Fall 2011 Multicultural Gathering with Special Guest Provost Warwick Arden – Tuesday, October 25, 2011
- Inaugural Meeting, Hispanic and Native American Special Interest Group – Thursday, November 4, 2010
- End of Semester Networking Event – Monday, April 26, 2010
- Networking and Meet Provost Warwick Arden – September 17, 2009
- Networking Meeting and Happy Hour – Friday, February 13, 2009
- AAFSO (African American Faculty-Staff Organization)
- NC State Black Faculty Facebook Group
- Chinese Faculty Google Group
- Hispanic/Latino Faculty Group
- GLBT Faculty and Staff Network
- Resources for Recruiting a Diverse Faculty (e.g., sample language for position descriptions, best practices for search committees, sample candidate evaluation forms, information on Target of Opportunity hires, spousal hiring and job search assistance for non-academic spouses, online resources, lists of scholars, and job listings)
- Faculty Diversity Resources: Mentoring, Inclusive Classrooms, etc.
- OIED Faculty Liaisons. The Faculty Liaisons serve as informal mentors at the Multicultural Faculty Group’s Networking Coffee Hours
- Giving and Getting Career Advice: A Guide for Junior and Senior Faculty (developed at the University of Michigan; some parts are specific to UM, but most apply equally well to NC State)
- Tenure and Promotion: ADEPT (Awareness of Decisions in Evaluating Promotion and Tenure) Instrument (developed at Georgia Tech)