Several religions prohibit working on certain holidays. To aid faculty and supervisors with scheduling events and activities, a short list of some holidays on which students, staff, or faculty may not be able to work or attend class is provided on the Major Religious Holidays website. Please note that this list is not at all exhaustive. More complete lists are linked to the cultural calendar website.
NC State’s policies on classroom attendance and holidays are also available there. Part of the regulation is reproduced here:
3.1.3 Students will be allowed a minimum of two excused absences per academic year for religious observances as verified by the Division of Academic and Student Affairs (DASA) (absence-verification@ncsu.
edu. and https://dasa.ncsu.edu/ students/absence-verification- process/).
Add Holidays to your Google Calendar
The calendars are intended to be used as a guide for instructors and event planners to indicate which days are important religious holidays that might entail work restrictions.You can overlay either of these calendars on your Google Calendar by clicking on the link above. The calendar will appear, then click on the “+” button at the lower right corner of the calendar. The Google Calendar overlay labeled “Holidays with work restrictions” contains all the holidays with work restrictions listed on the Major Religious Holidays website. The overlay linked under “Both holidays with work restrictions and additional major holidays” contains all holidays listed on the Major Religious Holidays website.
Add Holidays to your Course Pages in Moodle
To add the calendar of major religious and cultural holidays to your Moodle course pages, follow the steps below.
- Add the Major Religious Holidays overlay to your Google Calendar.
- In the calendar list on the left side of your Google calendar click the down arrow to the right of the Major Religious and Cultural Holidays calendar, then select Calendar settings.
- Select the ICAL button and click the displayed URL to obtain an ICS file containing the calendar data. Download this file. The downloaded file will be called basic.ics.
- Open your Moodle course page
- In the Calendar block, click the name of the month (at top), or in the Upcoming Events block, click Go to calendar…. The Calendar page will open.
- Click Manage subscriptions. The Manage subscriptions page will open listing subscriptions you have already set up (if any), and a form for importing a calendar.
- Under Import calendar, for Calendar name, enter a name.
- From the Import from drop-down menu choose Calendar file (.ics). Click Choose a file and browse to upload the basic.ics file.
- From the Type of event drop-down menu, select Course – Anyone enrolled in the course will be able to see this calendar’s events.
- Click Add.