GAY, LESBIAN, BISEXUAL AND TRANSGENDER CENTER
Sexual Health Resources
NC State GLBT Center
Student Health Services
Wake County Human Services
LGBT Center of Raleigh
What is PrEP?
Who should take PrEP?
- PrEP is recommended as one prevention option for sexually-active adult MSM (men who have sex with men) at substantial risk of HIV acquisition.
- PrEP is recommended as one prevention option for adult heterosexually active men and women who are at substantial risk of HIV acquisition.
- PrEP is recommended as one prevention option for adult injection drug users (IDU) at substantial risk of HIV acquisition.
- PrEP should be discussed with heterosexually-active women and men whose partners are known to have HIV infection (HIV-discordant couples) as one of several options to protect the uninfected partner during conception and pregnancy so that an informed decision can be made in awareness of what is known and unknown about benefits and risks of PrEP for mother and fetus.
Does my student health plan cover PrEP?
- A documented diagnosis of initiating therapy for pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) to reduce the risk of sexually acquired HIV-1 in adults at high risk AND documentation of all of the following:
- A negative HIV antibody test taken: Immediately before starting Truvada for PrEP AND every 3 months thereafter while on therapy.
- Confirmation that creatinine clearance value >/=60 mL/min before initiating Truvada for PrEP AND serum creatinine and calculate creatinine clearance checks performed at 3 months after initiation and then every 6 months thereafter.
Students who have other insurance policies should contact their insurance company to obtain criteria and an estimated cost.
Can I get PrEP at the Student Health Center?
Both the prescription and insurance information must be faxed to the selected pharmacy. Walgreens Specialty Pharmacy can provide the following services:
- Fill the prescription and ship to the student’s residence via FedEx second-day air
- Set up e-mail, phone, and/or text updates to notify the student 10 days and 5 days prior to a prescription refill being due
- Set up automatic monthly bill pay so that students can receive an uninterrupted supply of medication.
Walgreens Specialty pharmacy can be reached by phone at 1-800-424-9002, or by fax at 1-800-874-9179.
Fall 2016 Testing Dates
Wednesday, August 31 from 1-4 PM in Talley 4132
Wednesday, September 28 from 1-4 PM in Talley 4132
Wednesday, October 26 from 1-4 PM in Talley 4132
Wednesday, November 30 from 1-4 PM in Talley 4132