Veterinary Medicine Excels with Inclusion

College of Veterinary Medicine

Dr. Allen Cannedy is director of diversity and inclusion in the College of Veterinary Medicine. Cannedy is a 2017 recipient of the Iverson Bell Award for “outstanding leadership and contributions in promoting opportunities for underrepresented minorities in veterinary medical education” by the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges (AAVMC).

What are your responsibilities in NC State’s College of Veterinary Medicine? 

Dr. Allen CannedyI serve on the admissions and diversity committees at the college. I am a member of the Deans Cabinet as the primary advisor for the college on diversity- and inclusion-related matters. I am a recruiter, teacher, advisor and mentor for students and colleagues.

How long have you been at NC State, and what were your previous institutions, both as a student and as a faculty member?

I have been employed at NC State since 1995. I began my college education at Germanna Community College in Locust Grove, Virginia; Virginia State University in Petersburg, Virginia; Tuskegee University in Tuskegee, Alabama; and the University of Tennessee as rotating large animal intern in Knoxville, Tennessee before coming to the NC State College of Veterinary Medicine as ruminant production medicine resident and faculty diversity director.

Tell us about the programs that you oversee in the College of Veterinary Medicine.

I am responsible for minority veterinary student recruitment, retention and support. To accomplish this, I oversee our middle school summer veterinary camp, minority recruitment scholarships, CVM diversity professional development, veterinary student diversity education and several other CVM diversity education programs.

You were named as a recipient of the 2017 Iverson Bell Award, presented in March in Washington. What does this award mean for you personally and for NC State?

This is the most prestigious award given in honor of diversity-related work in the veterinary profession. I am honored to have been allowed the opportunity to do diversity and inclusion work at NC State’s veterinary college. NC State has been recognized as a leader in diversity and inclusion and should be proud to be acknowledged by the veterinary profession.

How has your work evolved, and how do you see it continuing to evolve at NC State?

My work has changed with the needs of our colleges’ community and culture. As we have become more diverse, the need for cultural awareness has become more necessary. More challenges will come as we continue to increase diversity at our college. We need be to become more educated, understanding and inclusive.

In the past, you have also worked with NC State’s National Coalition Building Institute affiliate team. How long did you work with NCBI, and how did NCBI relate to your day-to-day work at the university?

I joined our campus NCBI team in 2003 and served for several years until I became the full-time CVM diversity director. I use the NCBI principles in my daily work and life. The NCBI concept that every issue counts and everyone matters is an important point that we all should understand.